The Bible commands Christians to be immersed in water (baptized) as a dramatic portrayal of faith in the resurrected Christ. The water symbolizes the grave of Christ and spiritual purity. Since early times, Christians have practiced this rite to proclaim one’s allegiance to Jesus Christ and declare, “Yes, Jesus died for me!” It is the initial step of Christian discipleship and the initial means of identifying with Christ. It is exciting to hear that you have come to faith in Christ and want to let others know that you are His disciple!
How to prepare for your baptism?
1. Invite your friends and family to join you for this special occasion.
2. Prepare a written statement (please don’t wing it!) of your faith, or pick a favourite Bible verse of yours to share with the congregation. You may also want to briefly thank those who have been instrumental in your salvation. This step is optional but recommended (2 minutes maximum).
3. Bring a towel, and dark pants or shorts. We will supply you with a dark t-shirt but bring one of your own in case we don’t have one your size. An area to change will be provided. Please note that you will be fully submerged in water.
4. Pray that God would impact people’s hearts through your baptism!
5. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come 30 mins early! A pastor will meet you in the foyer and give instructions. Because we only have 20 mins. between services it is vital that all baptismal candidates arrive on time or they will risk not knowing what is expected well before the service starts.
How will you be baptized?
1. The pastor will meet with you beforehand to demonstrate how to enter the water, stand in the water and position your hands during the baptism. Again, come EARLY!
2. The pastor will share a few thoughts about Christian baptism with the congregation.
3. The pastor will introduce you and invite you to read your prepared statement of faith or Bible verse. Please speak right into the microphone.
4. When you enter the water, you will be asked something like: “Do you trust Jesus Christ for your salvation?”
5. You will be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
6. You will exit the water slowly and quickly change in a designated location.
7. You can now rejoin the congregation.
Now a couple questions for you to answer: